Tuesday, July 24, 2012


I WENT TO A BIG ZOO THIS WEEKEND!!! AND I TOOK SOME PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT LULZ.

It was great because those of you who know the real me know I have always loved zoos and even spent my childhood summers doing book reports on "Zoobooks" FOR FUN. Yes, I had friends, so that's not really the issue. 
Unfortunately, I was very disappointed that one of the best zoos in the country had absolutely no Lemur troop. Again, those of you who know me know that Lemurs are what I dream about at night. So much so that if my art and archaeological conservation career doesn't pan out I'll probably head down the line as a primatologist. 
Anywhoo, my disappointment was quickly muffled when I saw they had Bonobos. I like to think of Bonobos as the chimpanzees', smarter, kinder, and prettier cousin. These guys share over 98% of our DNA AND they have the capability (if worked with extensively) to use a lexigram to communicate AND EVEN LEARN TO MAKE FIRE.  Plus they're too busy having sex and loving each other to attack and kill. (well, unless you're a smaller species of primate.) Which means I don't know if there has been a real problem with these guys ever attacking a trainer or zoo keeper- unless they're abused, because these guys can rip your arms off if they wanted too.
ANYWAY I DIGRESS,
Here are the photos:

This was a mama Bonobo. She recently had her third baby about a week ago and is sheilding her newborn from the eyes of onlookers. She has lost a lot of hair which can mean anything from stress to natural disease. I don't really know what it was caused by in her case.

This is another mama Bonobo, only her two children (about a year and some change apart it looked like) were mobile and exploring.


This is the older of the two babies. Its very hard to get a photo of either one because they're constantly moving and playing- being the true primate children they are.

Bonobos don't really mind if their children play with their food.

"Hey guys, whats up. I'm just hangin out, you know bein' myself."


Flying foxes are my favorite kind of bats.
This little reptile was the cutest in the entire zoo.
Just picture a run-down trailer in the background.


My niece playing patty cake with a Langur.


Penguin want finger. penguin eat finger.

underwater polar bear tank


beautiful reticulated python.

Sunbear saw me comin.

Sunbear strikes a pose.



No comments: